- Empathize with your enemy.
- Rationality will not save us.
- There’s something beyond one’s self.
- Maximize efficiency.
- Proportionality should be a guideline in war.
- Get the data.
- Belief and seeing are often both wrong.
- Be prepared to reexamine your reasoning.
- In order to do good, you have to engage in evil.
- Never say never.
- You can’t change human nature.
Let him go ahead.
Ares is a democrat.
There are no privileged people
On a battlefield.
Whoever is alive
Is pleased by song.
And the heart
By one thing
Friends hurt the most.
To engage with an insatiable girl,
Ramming belly against belly,
Thigh riding against thigh.
Translated by Guy Davenport
Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes…known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few…No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare. –James Madison, Political Observations, 1795